Infertility is not uncommon and is defined as a couple not conceiving after 12 months of regular unprotected sexual intercourse. It is estimated about 1 in 6 couples will experience some degree of infertility in their lives. Infertility can lead couples going through a range of emotions, which may include anger, sadness, and frustration.
- Female factors 40%
- Tubal disease due to pelvic infection
- Ovulatory disorder such as PCOS
- Male factors 40%
- Sperm problems
- Erectile or ejaculatory problems
- Unexplained infertility 15-20%
It is important to note that there will be more than one problem present in about one third of infertile couples. Other environmental factors also play an important role of causing infertility.
Dr Tong uses a team approach, based at Westmead Fertility Centre and IVF Australia, to provide the high standard of fertility treatment in a caring and compassionate environment. His aim is to give you the best possible chance to have a baby.
The fertility evaluation consists of a comprehensive history taking, physical examination and a range of tests (from blood tests and semen analysis to imaging and minimal invasive procedures) involving both couples will usually take place at the same time.
The tests include:
Dr Tong will discuss your treatment options depend on the underlying cause(s). Other options can be considered before IVF.
- Timed Intercourse
- Artificial Insemination: Intrauterine insemination (IUI)
- Ovulation Induction (OI)
- Tubal Surgery via laparoscopy (Keyhole) or laparotomy (Open)
- Tubal Reversal or anastomosis
- Adhesiolysis: surgery to remove scar tissue
- In-vitro Fertilisation (IVF)